On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:16:57 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I agree entirely. Why the pkgcore people refuse to do basic
> > automated tests is completely beyond me.
>
> That may or may not be, but it's beside the point.  The point is that
> a bug was found, that fact was stated, and regardless of other points
> that could be made, the developer of the code in question was all but
> forced to call the person who caught the bug God and ask forgiveness
> for his sin, in ordered to find out what the bug was.

No no, calling me God won't get anyone anywhere...

He was forced to do the kind of extremely basic testing that should
have been done before an EAPI 1 accepting package manager was put in
the tree. Unfortunately, he then committed a fix and didn't add unit
tests to prevent future regressions, nor did he add unit tests to cover
the rest of EAPI 1 functionality.

There is a big difference between obscure bugs and blatant
irresponsibility here.

--
Ciaran McCreesh