On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:48:53 +0530
"Nirbheek Chauhan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> PMS is supposed to be a specification which is as close to Gentoo's
> Official Package manager's behaviour as possible while (preferably)
> leaving out deprecated behaviour. But right now you're saying:
>
> "We're writing a spec that's somewhat like Portage, but where it
> breaks Paludis, we prefer to get Portage to change it's behaviour
> instead. Don't crib about this however. We could just have easily have
> created a whole new spec which broke Portage completely."
>
> I hope everyone realises just how ridiculous this is.

No, we're saying:

"There are some things that Portage does that're so obviously weird or
wrong that it's impossible to document that behaviour in a standard, so
occasionally we'll have to consider Portage to have bugs."

> PS: An example of something in PMS that is different from Portage:
> inline comments are disallowed. The only reason I can think for doing
> this is to not make Paludis change it's behaviour.

Did you check whether Portage that's included in current Gentoo
releases supports inline comments in profiles?

--
Ciaran McCreesh