On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 13:56:03 -0500, in gmane.linux.gentoo.user,
Steven Elling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[......]
>
>I don't think passwd should be updated by etc-update.  For one, would a
>system administrator edit the passwd file to add or delete a user, system
>or daemon account or replace it completely?  I know I wouldn't because of
>the inherent danger in doing so.  As a system administrator, I try to avoid
>editing the passwd and group files manually and use useradd, userdel,
>usermod, groupadd, groupdel, groupmod, etc. instead.

ACK. But once came in a new group (+passwd) file with an enlarged
set of "standard" group names (gid < 1000). One of these names had
already been in the previous file but with a different gid (IRC it
was 'slocate'; luckily only 2 items in the filesystem needed special
treatment, to get the right gid number into their inodes.)

Best regards,
        -Heribert

--
Heribert Slama