On Sunday 03 August 2003 20:33, Spider wrote:
> begin  quote
> On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 12:50:42 +0200
>
> Thorsten Kampe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > This is in fact the point it is all about. There is no sense in
> > "updating" fstab or /etc/passwd so these types of files should be
> > always omitted. Another possibility would be to have etc-update issue
> > a "red warning" when used with "-5".
>
> thats the point of being root. It allows you to do stupid things without
> getting in your way.
>

> But, I digress.  passwd should be updated, at least until we get a very
> solid account management scheme with UID:name assignations to add,
> since, there is a point in sometimes updating system services ( forking
> out more basic stuff to users other than root for example)

Actually, ebuild's use the command "enewuser" to add users. Those users which
are added are never removed automatically. Here's the line from quake3 for
example:

enewuser q3 -1 /bin/bash /opt/quake3 ${GAMES_GROUP}

As to the automation of merging changes, it seems most people use -3 to update
files they are interested in and then -5 for files they aren't. It would seem
to me that the files that root hasn't touched are known to portage through
the /var/db/pkg/<section>/<package>/CONTENTS file. Perhaps, -5 should be run
automatically on files that haven't been touched? Or better yet, emerge
should only protect config files which have changed.

Just my $0.02.

Jason