> I'm really wondering how many folks out there are so fully converted to
> Linux in both work and play that they would literally be unfamiliar with XP,
> for instance, having never used it.
>
> There was a slashdot article a few weeks back that probably planted the seed
> for this question. It was a review of Windows XP by someone who claimed they
> hadn't used Windows even once in six years.

I've never used windows XP. I've *seen* it on other people's systems,
and couldn't get past the bubblegum colors. I have never used windows
for work. Since 1989 I've worked for companies that do Unix (and later
linux) software development. My first workstation was an NCD X terminal
attached to an IBM RS6000.
Later, my desktop machine was always a PC running only some flavor of
unix or linux.
At home I do have a win98 box to run video editing software (adobe
premiere) on. As someone else mentioned about music, the Linux video
editing software is way behind the windows stuff, but I'm surprised at
how much progress it has made in the past couple of years.
Also at home I have 1 mandrake box I use as my main desktop, and a
gentoo system I will eventually migrate to. I also have a gentoo laptop.
My girlfriend runs mandrake with VMware for word. Other than word. she
uses only Linux programs for mail, web etc. Unfortunately the reports
she writes for work do not work right under openwriter, abiwriter etc.

So I have used windows, but generally find it incredibly confusing to
try to administer. Linux is a snap. The whole "easier to use" think is
BS. What you already know is easier to use. I think Linux has a
different learning curve than windows. Initially it's tough, but once
you get some basic concepts (editing a file, find, grep) the curve
flattens out. I think with windows the curve is constant because
everything has config windows hidden in different places that work
slightly differently.

--
Chris Bare
[EMAIL PROTECTED]