Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Saturday, 15 June 2024 07:53:06 BST Dale wrote:
>> Peter Humphrey wrote:
>>> Here's the output of parted -l on my main NVMe disk in case it helps:
>>>
>>> Model: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB (nvme)
>>> Disk /dev/nvme1n1: 250GB
>>> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
>>> Partition Table: gpt
>>> Disk Flags:
>>>
>>> Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name      Flags
>>>
>>>  1      1049kB  135MB   134MB
>>>  2      135MB   4296MB  4161MB  fat32           boot      boot, esp
>>>  3      4296MB  12.9GB  8590MB  linux-swap(v1)  swap1     swap
>>>  4      12.9GB  34.4GB  21.5GB  ext4            rescue
>>>  5      34.4GB  60.1GB  25.8GB  ext4            root
>>>  6      60.1GB  112GB   51.5GB  ext4            var
>>>  7      112GB   114GB   2147MB  ext4            local
>>>  8      114GB   140GB   25.8GB  ext4            home
>>>  9      140GB   183GB   42.9GB  ext4            common
>>>
>> I'm starting the process here.  I'm trying to follow the install guide
>> but this is still not clear to me and the guide is not helping.  In your
>> list above, is #2 where /boot is mounted?  Is that where I put kernels,
>> init thingys, memtest and other images to boot from?
> Yes, and yes ('tree -L 3 /boot' below). I've had no success with the layout
> recommended in the wiki, because I want a choice of kernels to boot; I've
> shown my boot-time screen here before. In fact, gparted shows the unformatted
> first partition as bios_grub. I don't know why parted didn't show the same
> (it
> does show it now) Gparted screen shot attached.
>
> Thus, I have an unused bios_grub partition, then a FAT32 EFI system
> partition,
> then the rest as usual.

Could you share the boot screen again?  I used lilo ages ago then
switched to Grub.  Grub is massive but it works well enough.  Thing is,
seeing your screen may help me to understand how certain options work.
It may make me use the bootloader you use, which is what by the way?

>> My current layout for a 1TB m.2 stick, typing by hand:
>>
>> 1    8GB        EFI System
>> 2    400GB    Linux file system for root or /.
>> 3    180GB    Linux file system for /var.
>>
>> I'll have /home and such on other drives, spinning rust. I'm just
>> wanting to be sure if my #1 and your #2 is where boot files go, Grub,
>> kernels, init thingys etc.  I've always had kernels and such on ext2 but
>> understand efi requires fat32.
> Yes. I believe the EFI spec requires a file system that any OS can access,
> and
> FAT is it, FAT32 usually being recommended.
>
> Then, when it comes to bootctl and installkernel, I ignore the Gentoo advice
> on USE flags because it results in illegible file names and impenetrable
> directories. My version is far simpler to manage, which I do by hand. I don't
> suppose anyone else would use my approach, but I started it long before the
> days of EFI, and it still works for me.
>
> Also, as I've said here before, I dislike the all-things-to-all-men grub, so
> don't use it.
>
> Incidentally, do you really need so much space in root and /var? Mine are
> just
> 40GB each, and not even half full. I don't run a lot of media apps though.
> Still, space is cheap.   :)
>
> $ tree -L 3 /boot
> /boot
> ├── config-6.1.67-gentoo-rescue
> ├── config-6.6.21-gentoo
> ├── config-6.6.21-gentoo-rescue
> ├── config-6.6.30-gentoo
> ├── config-6.6.30-gentoo-rescue
> ├── config-6.7.9-gentoo
> ├── config-6.8.5-gentoo-r1
> ├── early_ucode.cpio
> ├── EFI
> │   ├── BOOT
> │   │   └── BOOTX64.EFI
> │   ├── Linux
> │   └── systemd
> │       └── systemd-bootx64.efi
> ├── intel-uc.img
> ├── loader
> │   ├── entries
> │   │   ├── 06-gentoo-rescue-6.6.30.conf
> │   │   ├── 07-gentoo-rescue-6.6.30.nonet.conf
> │   │   ├── 08-gentoo-rescue-6.6.21.conf
> │   │   ├── 09-gentoo-rescue-6.6.21.nonet.conf
> [...]

OK.  So, I mount /boot and put my kernels, config files and all the
things I usually put there as usual.  Then I have a efi directory under
/boot that the efi tools use.  I only created one partition so I assume
when I boot it will find the efi directory within /boot???  If this is
the case, I don't need to redo my partitions.  I already started a OS
backup but oh well. ;-)

Like you, I keep old kernels around too.  Eventually, I clean out old
ones but I like to keep at least a couple around just in case one goes
wonky.  At least I can boot a older kernel to fix things.  I also do
things the manual way.  I copy my kernels over with names I like, copy
the config file over with a matching name as well.  I do let dracut
build the init thingy.  I do edit the name to match the kernel so that
grub sees it.  So, you not alone doing it the manual way, as much as I
can anyway.

Thanks much.

Dale

:-)  :-)