On Saturday, 15 June 2024 16:28:29 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Saturday, 15 June 2024 13:01:33 BST Dale wrote:
> > Could you share the boot screen again?
>
> New version attached...
>
> > I used lilo ages ago then switched to Grub.  Grub is massive but it works
> > well enough.
>
> ...as long as you only want to specify one kernel image.

Not really.  You can add as many kernel image versions as you like and in
addition customise the GRUB configuration to add kernel command-line
parameters of choice.

> > Thing is, seeing your screen may help me to understand how
> > certain options work. It may make me use the bootloader you use, which is
> > what by the way?
>
> I use bootctl from sys-apps/systemd-utils* with USE="acl boot kernel-install
> kmod tmpfiles udev -secureboot (-selinux) (-split-usr) -sysusers -test
> -ukify"
>
> Sys-kernel/kernelinstall has USE="-dracut (-efistub) -grub -refind -systemd
> -systemd-boot -uki -ukify"
>
> Notice the -systemd -systemd-boot flags. The wiki and some news items say to
> set those, but then I'd end up with the unintelligible file and directory
> names I mentioned - I'm not well versed in mental 32-digit hex
> number-juggling.  :)
>
> --->8

I thought the 'title' for any systemd-boot listed kernel can be edited to suit
user preferences, as described here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8826048.html

> > Like you, I keep old kernels around too.  Eventually, I clean out old
> > ones but I like to keep at least a couple around just in case one goes
> > wonky.  At least I can boot a older kernel to fix things.  I also do
> > things the manual way.  I copy my kernels over with names I like, copy
> > the config file over with a matching name as well.
>
> That's all automatic here; kernelinstall does it when I call 'make install'.
> All but two of the files shown in 'ls -1 /boot', below, are as 'make
> install' set them. The exceptions to that are early_ucode.cpio and
> intel-uc.img.

You can build these in-kernel, by adding their path/name in your kernel
config, e.g.:

CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="intel-ucode/06-3c-03"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"

See here:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel_microcode#New_method_without_initram-fs.
2Fdisk_.28efistub_compatible.29

> The only files I maintain myself are those under /boot/loader/entries; they
> define the menu items in the attachment here:
>
> 06-gentoo-rescue-6.6.30.conf
> 07-gentoo-rescue-6.6.30.nonet.conf
> 08-gentoo-rescue-6.6.21.conf
> 09-gentoo-rescue-6.6.21.nonet.conf
> 30-gentoo-6.6.30.conf
> 32-gentoo-6.6.30.nox.conf
> 34-gentoo-6.6.30.nonet.conf
> 40-gentoo-6.6.21.conf
> 42-gentoo-6.6.21.nox.conf
> 44-gentoo-6.6.21.nonet.conf
>
> E.g: $ cat /boot/loader/entries/34-gentoo-6.6.30.nonet.conf
> title Gentoo 6.6.30 (No network)
> version 6.6.30-gentoo
> linux vmlinuz-6.6.30-gentoo
> options root=/dev/nvme0n1p5 net.ifnames=0 raid=noautodetect \
>     softlevel=nonetwork
>
> > I do let dracut build the init thingy.  I do edit the name to match the
> > kernel so that grub sees it.  So, you not alone doing it the manual way,
> > as
> > much as I can anyway.
>
> I don't need an initramfs, other than early_ucode.cpio and intel-uc.img,
> because I don't want the complications of a separate /usr partition.
>
> $ ls -1 /boot
> config-6.6.21-gentoo
> config-6.6.21-gentoo-rescue
> config-6.6.30-gentoo
> config-6.6.30-gentoo-rescue
> early_ucode.cpio
> EFI
> intel-uc.img
> loader
> System.map-6.6.21-gentoo
> System.map-6.6.21-gentoo-rescue
> System.map-6.6.30-gentoo
> System.map-6.6.30-gentoo-rescue
> vmlinuz-6.6.21-gentoo
> vmlinuz-6.6.21-gentoo-rescue
> vmlinuz-6.6.30-gentoo
> vmlinuz-6.6.30-gentoo-rescue
>
> > Thanks much.
>
> *   The handbook says to use efibootmgr to create boot entries, but that
> again assumes you only want a single bootable image. It is occasionally
> useful, though, to clear up any mess I may have made.

With the efibootmgr you can have more than one bootable image, set your own
preferred label for it and you can hardcode any kernel command-line parameters
in each kernel image; e.g.:

CONFIG_CMDLINE="root=PARTUUID=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX snd-hda-
intel.index=1,0"