This is an interesting thread, so I want to spend my 2 cents.

1) I am astonished about discussing to check a build on SUN SDK 6

http://gis.linux4all.at/hudson32
http://gis.linux4all.at/hudson64

Everybody can look at it, developers knowing the credentials from the
official hudson build server can log in and trigger a build (Mostly
necessary if a build fails because of svn download problems).

2) Lack of resources for a java 6 build server.  I could offer an
additional VM and give somebody root access via ssh. After the setup
is finished, I would do a backup of the whole virtual image. Thats it.

3) If we switch, we should also think about which sdk to use. I would
prefer openjdk, because it is running on almost all platforms.

4) My vote is +1 for switch on trunk.