christian.muel...@nvoe.at wrote:
> This is an interesting thread, so I want to spend my 2 cents.
>
> 1) I am astonished about discussing to check a build on SUN SDK 6
>
> http://gis.linux4all.at/hudson32
> http://gis.linux4all.at/hudson64
>
> Everybody can look at it, developers knowing the credentials from the
> official hudson build server can log in and trigger a build (Mostly
> necessary if a build fails because of svn download problems).

Sorry, I did forget about those build servers, normally when I
try to connect to them they are slow or look offline so I thought
they were gone or not maintained.

So if we can use those there is still the bit of making them send
mails to the ml when a java 6 build fails. But first we have to
agree we want to support java 6 in an official way, that requires
a GSIP. Anyone up to write it down?

> 2) Lack of resources for a java 6 build server.  I could offer an
> additional VM and give somebody root access via ssh. After the setup is
> finished, I would do a backup of the whole virtual image. Thats it.
>
> 3) If we switch, we should also think about which sdk to use. I would
> prefer openjdk, because it is running on almost all platforms.

-1 on using openjdk, too slow to be of any production use rendering wise.