>Ok.  Thanks, I guess I start to understand.  How would you want to *enter*
>the chord in Lily?  We're using additions (and subtractions, although imo
>it should be possible to enter most frequently used chords without the
>use of subtractions) and some smart analyzing now.

I think the current method of additions and substractions can still work,
with the most frequently used chords thrown in there as well (the names of
the chords should be customizable, just as the note names are now).  This
would include shorthand for (using C as root in this example): C (major
triad), Cm, Co (diminished triad), Caug, Csus (always a suspended fourth),
C2 (root, second, fifth), C7, Cm7, Cmaj7, Caug7 (also known as C7(#5)),
C7sus, Co7 (diminished seventh), Cø7 (half-diminished, yes, I know, also
known as Cm7(b5)), Cm(maj7), C6 (C major triad with added 6th), Cm6 (C minor
triad with added 6th), C9 (or C7add9), Cmaj9 (or Cmaj7add9).  Did I miss
anything that has a short representation?  Anything else could be done via
additions/subtractions.  Speaking of which, is it necessary to use the dash
(-) as a separator?  If so, I would suggest using # and b to indicate
alterations to the basic intervals.  That shouldn't cause any conflicts,
since there would be no note names in the addition/subtraction sections...
Also, having the bass note followed by a slash is still a good way to enter
that.  So, to enter a Dm7add#11/G you would have d-m7-#11/G.  Whaddya think?
Basically it would be (tonic)-(name of
chord)-(additions)-(subtractions)/(bass note).  To skip any section, you
would have to put a dash to indicate this; for example, a Cadd9 would be
entered as C--9, where the chord name would go between the dashes (and is
omitted here, since a tonic by itself implies a major spelling).

>This results in a
>list of pitches as the 'internal Lily format'.  The Good Thing (TM) about
>this approach is that:
>
>1) You can enter notes, and have chord names displayed:
>
>   \chords { c }  ->  C  , or
>   \notes <c e g> ->  C
>
>because internally, these notes are also a list of pitches.
>
>2) You can enter chords, and have notes displayed on a staff

>                       x|
>   \chords { c }  ->   x|
>                       x|
>

>and any combination of the two.

I fully agree.  I'll work up a patch and post it as soon as I can.

-- Shamus