On Tuesday, 21 September 1999, Juergen Reuter writes:

>    lilypond detects a chord with weird adds, it should just drop them
>    and only regard the "important" notes of the chord?  But what are
>    important notes and how could you determine them?  You probably would

This is hairy.  Also, as I understand it, musical theory can name any
chord: why decided that some kind of chord is too 'difficult', and drop
adds/subtr?

Maybe, we could play dirty and let the user specify (= read from
init file) a list of tricky chords (as pitch lists) with their
'logical name' (bass, tonic, modifiers, additions).

For chords not in the list, we use a simple algorithm, much like we
do now.

>    have to make a harmonic analysis which, I think, is beyond the scope
>    of lilypond as a type setting system... Again arrgh!
>
> BTW., Jan, the correct spelling is "vermindert", not "verminderd" :-),

*blush* mixing Dutch and German there..

> and "augmented" translates to "uebermaessig" (does Banter not use
> "Cueberm"?).

Yes, he does.  (nl:overmatig).

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/      | http://www.lilypond.org/