On Tuesday, 21 September 1999, Harti Brandt writes:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
>
> > On Monday, 20 September 1999, "Shamus" writes:
> >
> > > Is there some reason why you would
> > > want to assume that the bass note is chordal?
> >
> > You say yourself the 'bass note' (whatever this is: is c the bass note
> > in <c e g>, and is there a situation where it is /not/ part of the chord?)
> > may be part of the chord.  So, not knowing about this bass note thing, I
> > simply assumed all pitches would be 'part of the chord'.  Seems like
> > good reason :-)
>
> Well, you often have things like C/G which means play a C-major chord and
> a G as the bass note. In this case the bass note is part of the chord, but
> it doesn't have to: F/D. You could, of course, write F6/D, but nobody
> does.

Ah, ok.  That's a misconception on my part that's easy to fix.
My references don't talk about 'bass' note, instead they refer
to 'inversion/inversie (dutch)' (pitch).  In C/E, the 'E' is the
inversion:

   <c e g>  / E  ->  <e g c>

you can see the chord being inverted: the c moves up.  Because of this
name 'inversion', I assumed that the inversion pitch must be a part
of the chord.

So, instead of issuing a warning: 'not part of chord', the 'inversion'
pitch should be added silently?

Jan.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/      | http://www.lilypond.org/