<snip>
>For example, Banter says (iirc) that
>
>   <c e gis> = C 5+, or a whole list of other names, amongst which:
>               Caug
>
>   <c e ges> = C 5-, or a whole list of other names, amongst which:
>               Cverm(inderd) (German)

Raising the fifth is indeed called an augmented chord (which is usually
notated Caug, sometimes C(#5)), however simply lowering the fifth does not a
diminished chord make!  That would simply be a triad with a flat fifth,
probably notated as C(b5)...

>So, I assumed that min/m acts on the third, and aug(mented),
>verm(inderd) =translates as= dim(inisched), acts on fifth.

It certainly would seem logical, but lots of things in music (as I'm sure
you've been finding out!) are not logical!

>While (found out only yesterday) it seems that
>
>   <c es ges beses> = Cm5-7-  (7 already means lowered, so 7- == beses)
>                              or a whole list of other names, amongst
which:
>                      Co
>                      Cverm(inderd) (German)!
>                      Cdim(inished)
>
>only this chord is known as 'dim(inished)'?

When speaking of a chord, dimished can mean one of two things:  A diminished
triad or a dimished seventh chord (which is distinctly different from what's
known as the 'half-diminished' chord).  The triad is a root with a flat
third and flat fifth, and is notated (at least in America, someone else will
have to fill me in on other countries) as (using C as the root) Cdim, or Co.
The diminished seventh has a root with a flat third, flat fifth, and a
doubly flatted seventh (which is enharmonically equivalent to a sixth, and
from which comes tons of confusion).  It is usually notated as (again, using
C as the root) Cdim7 or Co7.

>What a mess, imh-non-expert-o.

Hey, we've all got to start somewhere!  ;-)  And naming chords is at times a
confusing, ambiguous and imprecise thing.

>> is assuming that the bass note is part of the chord, when in
>> fact it may or may not be--it could be a pedal tone or even a non-chordal
>> tone.
>
>Sorry, I never heard of extra bass tones that might not be part of a
>chord.  Example?

There are plenty of examples in the literature, if I had my 'Harmony' book
with me (which is a great resource, BTW) I could quote you a few.  However,
sometimes a series of changing chords will be blocked out over a static tone
in the bass, usually this was referred to as a pedal tone (and it's been
continued to be used, even in contemporary music).  Another less frequently
used practice is putting a non-chordal tone in the bass (that is not acting
as a pedal tone) in order to create tension or make a more colorful sound.
There are examples of this in the classsical literature, but its use is much
more prevalent today.  For example, the chord sequence Dm7 - Dm7/G is such a
sequence, and the Dm7/G defies easy classification.  Is it a G7(no 3rd)add
9/11?  Or is it a G7(no 3rd)add2/4?  Or perhaps Dm7 add11?  It's a heck of a
lot easier to read to just leave it as Dm7/G!

>You say yourself the 'bass note' (whatever this is: is c the bass note
>in <c e g>, and is there a situation where it is /not/ part of the chord?)
>may be part of the chord.  So, not knowing about this bass note thing, I
>simply assumed all pitches would be 'part of the chord'.  Seems like
>good reason :-)

Ah, I see, said the blind man...  ;-)  And yes, the C in a C major triad
would be the bass note.

>You seem to know more about chords than Han-Wen and me.  We need you!
>Please go ahead and fix it.

I'd love to!

>No.  We (you?)'ll have to add symbols to the feta font, that's where the
>textflat/sharps come from too.  The \textflats/sharps will have to go, and
>be replaced by a molecule, see lookup.cc:
>
>    Molecule
>    Lookup::accidental (int j, bool cautionary) const

Ok, I'll check into that.  BTW, what do you use to create/edit the feta
fonts?  I assume I'll have to modify all five(?) point sizes...

-- Shamus