The installation of Windows setups being localized to the US by default
has been an issue since the year dot (and I've been installing lots of
Windows since V1.0). It's been better since the OOBE (out of box
experience) has insisted on have a network connection during setup, as
it can now try to detect its location, but it's still wrong on occasion
and many people don't bother correcting it. Some even force a US locale.
The system default currency, which seems to come into play more and more
often these years, is the big issue here, but the default date format
(Canadians use DD-MM-YYYY but some Canadians prefer the US's MM/DD/YYYY)
and default spelling libraries (eg color vs colour) are things I often
hear about.
@Yazad: respectfully, my view is that you've told the software it's
running in the US, and so it's reasonable for it to assume new vendors
use USD. The basic mixup here is that so many Canadian machines are set
up with a US locale. Better to correct that than to try to make Gnucash
work around the misconfigured OS. Gnucash is doing what it should.
Paul
On 2026-09-24 12:17 p.m., Wm Tarr wrote:
Reading through the thread my guess is there is a bug where the
business functions, specifically creating Customers / Vendors, are
checking the OS for locale information instead of using the default
currency. If I am right the sensible way to fix this is to set your
locale to Canada, is there a reason you have it as en-US? Anyway, you
can at least test my theory by setting it to Canada and seeing if the
Customer / Vendor default currency behaviour changes too.
Wm
On 2026-09-24 07:30, Yazad Khambata wrote:
Thank you Liz for investigating and sharing. I haven't tried anything on
the customer side yet. The issue I am noting above is associated with
Vendor and Bill. In my case I was able to create a bill but unable to
post
it until I ensured that the vendor's payment information was explicitly
updated to CAD (the fact that the vendor was by default associated
with USD
wasn't apparent to me at first).
Also mapping my use-case to your PoC - my locale is en-US, not sure what
install I have. I created a CAD book and expect all my transactions
to be
in CAD. The vendor was created by default with USD payment
information (not
something I was expecting).
On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 1:59 PM Liz <[email protected]> wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2026 10:43:41 -0700
Yazad Khambata <[email protected]> wrote:
Yes everything in my books is expected to be in CAD. The issue was
despite choosing CAD as the currency during the book's setup, when I
create a new vendor, it was setting the vendor's default currency to
USD. This wasn't obvious at first since the currency info is on a
separate "Payment Information" tab of the "New Vendor" dialog. Added
a screenshot to show this. My books are for CAD but the new vendor is
selecting USD by default and if this is not corrected, it prevents
posting the bills from said vendor.
Hoping this demonstrates the issue. I am no longer blocked since I
discovered that the currency needed to be fixed with each new vendor I
create.
I am suspecting on possible issue could be that the locale on my
system is US but I am working on books for Canada. Which is why I
feel despite me setting the default currency as USD the Vendor flow
is not respecting the choice and probably defaulting to the system
locale. This is just a hunch.
Regards,
Yazad
My computer locale is AU. My Gnucash install is in AU.
I created a new book for a new entity and then I had a new customer
created in USD.
All my dealings are in AUD, and I couldn't make an invoice.
Liz
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.