I guess the question is "should a machine in <Country A> doing the books
of a business operating in <Currency B> create new vendors in A or B?"
If A is France and B is Vietnam, then probably the answer is A. But if A
is Australia and B is Bitcoin, then the answer seems (at least) less clear.
I'm not sure about my own view on the above is, but I do still maintain
that fundamentally if you tell your machine it's in Canada, this entire
class of problems would be greatly mitigated. Glad you're will to look
at it. It's trivial to change -- and reverse, if you don't like the
results -- but it may change other apps you didn't realize were doing
things based on locale.
Paul
On 2026-09-24 12:29 p.m., Yazad Khambata wrote:
That’s a fair point Wm, manually changing the system locale is something
I’m open to trying out in the coming days.
In terms of a fix if it is being considered I would suggest that the books
default currency setting should always take precedence over the systems
settings.
I am all set for now (by remembering to update the currency for each new
vendor) but happy to help with more screenshots or info if someone if
planning a fix or wants me to test a change.
Regards,
Yazad
On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 9:18 AM Wm Tarr <[email protected]> wrote:
Reading through the thread my guess is there is a bug where the business
functions, specifically creating Customers / Vendors, are checking the
OS for locale information instead of using the default currency. If I
am right the sensible way to fix this is to set your locale to Canada,
is there a reason you have it as en-US? Anyway, you can at least test
my theory by setting it to Canada and seeing if the Customer / Vendor
default currency behaviour changes too.
Wm
On 2026-09-24 07:30, Yazad Khambata wrote:
Thank you Liz for investigating and sharing. I haven't tried anything on
the customer side yet. The issue I am noting above is associated with
Vendor and Bill. In my case I was able to create a bill but unable to
post
it until I ensured that the vendor's payment information was explicitly
updated to CAD (the fact that the vendor was by default associated with
USD
wasn't apparent to me at first).
Also mapping my use-case to your PoC - my locale is en-US, not sure what
install I have. I created a CAD book and expect all my transactions to be
in CAD. The vendor was created by default with USD payment information
(not
something I was expecting).
On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 1:59 PM Liz <[email protected]> wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2026 10:43:41 -0700
Yazad Khambata <[email protected]> wrote:
Yes everything in my books is expected to be in CAD. The issue was
despite choosing CAD as the currency during the book's setup, when I
create a new vendor, it was setting the vendor's default currency to
USD. This wasn't obvious at first since the currency info is on a
separate "Payment Information" tab of the "New Vendor" dialog. Added
a screenshot to show this. My books are for CAD but the new vendor is
selecting USD by default and if this is not corrected, it prevents
posting the bills from said vendor.
Hoping this demonstrates the issue. I am no longer blocked since I
discovered that the currency needed to be fixed with each new vendor I
create.
I am suspecting on possible issue could be that the locale on my
system is US but I am working on books for Canada. Which is why I
feel despite me setting the default currency as USD the Vendor flow
is not respecting the choice and probably defaulting to the system
locale. This is just a hunch.
Regards,
Yazad
My computer locale is AU. My Gnucash install is in AU.
I created a new book for a new entity and then I had a new customer
created in USD.
All my dealings are in AUD, and I couldn't make an invoice.
Liz
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.