Hi Jeff,

On 27 Okt., 19:34, Jeff S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > How are we supposed to work with list properties if they kill our app
> > even with just a few entries? I thought that if 5000 index entries per
> > entity is the limit then we can easily work with, say, 3000 index
> > entries. Is that not the case? Will that change if we pay for the
> > service?
>
> List properties themselves are not necessarily expensive, the
> structure of the app's queries can have a large impact on the indexes
> which will need to be updated on datastore writes.

Our queries and indices are rather simple. I should clarify:
The particular problem I'm talking about is a view that currently has
a response time of about 360ms and almost all of the time (280ms) is
spent on datastore put()/fetch()/get(). IOW, runtime CPU usage is low.
If you only read data then 360ms would probably consume less than
1500mcycles, but since this view primarily writes to the datastore it
consumes more than 10,000mcycles! That's really bothering me because I
already get yellow warnings for views that consume more than
1000mcycles and here I have red warnings. How am I supposed to
implement a simple write operation if it eats mcycles so quickly? Can
I just ignore the warning since only runtime cpu counts and we
primarily consume datastore cpu in this case?

Still, isn't the factor of mycles consumption for write operations a
little bit too high?

> > How quickly should a transaction finish in order to not cause a CPU
> > warning if it only does one single get() and put()?
>
> There isn't a solid limit in terms of time for write operations. As
> you are aware, there is a time limit for your app to respond to an
> HTTP request which would be a hard limit for writes. If a datastore
> operation is taking too long, it may raise a Timeout error so if you
> are consistently seeing these it may indicate a problem with the cost
> of writing an entity in the app.

I should've stated my question differently: If I do a computation
within a transaction (e.g., factorize a big number :) does it count as
runtime CPU or as datastore CPU?

Thanks!

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald