> > It seems there are images you can choose for EC2 which automatically
> > load balance/scale when you boot new instances...
>
> Are you sure about that ? I would be glad if you provide some
> reference.

http://highscalability.com/scalr-open-source-auto-scaling-hosting-amazon-ec2

"..Scalr is a fully redundant, self-curing and self-scaling hosting
environment utilizing Amazon's EC2. "

"... The health of the farm is continuously monitored and maintained.
When the Load Average on a type of node goes above a configurable
threshold a new node is inserted into the farm to spread the load and
the cluster is reconfigured. When a node crashes a new machine of that
type is inserted into the farm to replace it. ...

... New machines of this type will be brought online to meet current
levels and the old machines are terminated one by one. ..."

Its also a project hosted on google code ironically enough.

http://code.google.com/p/scalr/