I think the big draw of GAE over EC2 is the autoscaling, usage based
pricing and access to BigTable (although I've not seen a comparison to
SimpleDB yet either).

I think EC2's biggest flaw so far is the inability to connect multiple
instances to a single EBS block (where you would presumably have your
database). This limits the scalability of any one database to a
single, extra large instance. Maybe Amazon will change this in the
future

that said, we are using GAE as the front end/storage/query engine and
EC2 for backend processing work (when needed). using the two "Cloud"
types in tandem has some benefits (although I would love both a Queue
and background processing in GAE!)

cheers
brian