> I think the big draw of GAE over EC2 is the autoscaling, usage based
> pricing and access to BigTable (although I've not seen a comparison to
> SimpleDB yet either).

See my previous post - EC2 seems to allow autoscaling is you choose
the right images, also. SimpleDB looks like a fairly full featured
database, offering some complex query options, and is pay-for-what-you-
consume.

http://aws.amazon.com/simpledb/

> I think EC2's biggest flaw so far is the inability to connect multiple
> instances to a single EBS block (where you would presumably have your
> database). This limits the scalability of any one database to a
> single, extra large instance. Maybe Amazon will change this in the
> future

I've seen simple scripts that mount the same EBS volume when an
instance starts... can you give a reference where its not possible?

> that said, we are using GAE as the front end/storage/query engine and
> EC2 for backend processing work (when needed). using the two "Cloud"
> types in tandem has some benefits (although I would love both a Queue
> and background processing in GAE!)

If you have access to EC2 already, why not put the frontend there too?
It would minimize latency / etc.  Just curious... not sure where I see
the GAE integration as being technically a very attractive option in
your case...

Not sure if GAE''s strategy should be 'use us for your frontend,
because we can't handle the complicated stuff', just doesn't make much
business sense, and doesn't give developers tons of faith in the
platform.  (Of course we're just in beta, maybe some new features are
in the pipe I'm missing?)