You really need to deal with your uptime problems. My experience has
been that App Engine is less reliable than some of the cheap web hosts
I have used. The promise of the system is scalability and redundancy,
but apparently it has a fundamental architectural flaw if outages like
this are so common. I like the way App Engine is designed, and really
would prefer to use it, but it is hard to recommend it to clients when
outages like this are the norm, and when Google does not understand
that customer support = real people answering real phones. Many of us
bought into App Engine on the basis that Google must understand the
issues well enough to provide a reliable service, but frequent hours
long outages during business hours betray this assumption. At this
point, you need to prove to the developer community that you have
dealt with the issues that keep knocking the service down, and provide
real support for paying customers. People will give you the benefit of
the doubt up to a point, but you've had enough unplanned outages that
the burden of proof is now on you.