Brian,

You are right. For paying customers this situation is not really
acceptable and should be kept to the minimum. People expect from a
well known company like Google a high quality service. Higher then
from a service provider around the corner. I am pretty sure that this
is what Google want to prove.

I have to be honest: this free Google App Engine, its quality, the
service and the whole innovative approach is a pleasure and really
exiting. More than 6 months we did not experience major problems. This
is the first serious one that I encounter.

Bringing such infrastructure to the world, monitoring it and taking
measures when critical situations occur when tens-of-thousands people
are working on it is a major exercise (even an adventure in a certain
sense). One simple small error can be critical here. Now the load is
growing real scalability will be stress tested.

I am confidence that Google will learn from this and improve Google
App Engine further. I am also pretty sure this will not be the last
interruption. As long as they are kept to the minimum and the
frequency is really going down confidence will grow.

Come Google guys BEAT that "bug" and go back on track. Success in you
efforts to nail this problem down!