Just an FYI if you haven't seen the updates to the thread on downtime
notify, datastore writes have been enabled for about an hour now.

http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine-downtime-notify/browse_thread/thread/f7596d1d0bd0f0f9

Thank you for your patience.

> Why are you throwing CapabilityDisabledErrors on memcache writes?
> Couldn't you silently fail?  There's no guarantee that stuff in
> memcache will still be in memcache, so I don't see why it needs to
> error on failures.  Even the API reference says it returns False on
> errors - nothing about it preventing a page from rendering.
>
> memcache is commonly used, and there's no warning in the docs that it
> can throw page-breaking errors.  By throwing CapabilityDisabled,
> you've wrecked a lot of pages that could otherwise render right now.

That's an interesting idea, and something worth considering. I think
the difference here is the memcache write failure might be a different
failure mode, where a memcache write would more likely succeed if
retried. The capability disabled exception provides a stronger
indication that a retry will probably also fail (unless of course we
exit read-only mode...).

Cheers,

Jeff