Well, here's the reasons I'm not using appengine for my big project,
so I guess these would be my top issues

1. datastore timeout issue... we need way more reliability with the
datastore. timeout on put can be abstracted with memcache (provided
the memcache entity can last long enough for a retry), however timeout
on read is something you really can't work around (other than to fail
the entire request)

2. Larger file support. In my case, I want users to be able to upload
media such as photos and media.

3. The option to purchase dedicated memcached space. This would go
along with option 1, it also could mean some functions such as http
sessions and caching could be done entirely in memcache. The problem
now is with memcache shared amongst instances you can't be sure your
data will persist, as it would if you're running your own environment.