On 5/28/2009 10:03 AM, Sam bushman wrote:
since I am on the air I need to toggle back and forth between them and
keep my place in all of them.
When I keep going to the top or have speech just stop it's a killer! and
the radio shows suffer while I try to get we back on track.
In the meantime, why not use placemarkers as a temporary workaround?
They could potentially save you a significant amount of time and
frustration.
But let me make something perfectly clear: the current implementation of
Browse Mode, while lacking in areas of dynamic web content and the like,
does a perfectly acceptable job of providing access to html content. If
that were not the case, we'd be inundated daily when complaints. That's
not to say your concerns are not being heard. But I hesitate calling the
existing browse mode technology completely broken, and left for dead.
Chances are, the majority of people reading this message are using
browse mode to do it.
So let's make sure we all understand what we're doing when we say we're
re-writing browse mode, and why. We understand and acknowledge the
dynamic nature of the current web market, and we understand and
acknowledge that Window-Eyes is lacking in that area. This is the number
one reason why browse mode is being re-designed: to handle the dynamic
and progressive nature of web based applications and content. ARIA,
Ajax, Web2.0 -- all those buzzwords you read about in today's headlines.
This is the technology our Browse Mode 2.0 will be aimed at.
That being said, problems like the one you've mentioned (being able to
stay where you are when you leave a browser window and come back) will
get fixed. But our goal is to move forward with the technology and not
hack around existing problems.
I asked about browse mode supporting multipal windows a long time ago
and was told it was in the works.
I am still told the same thing but, no eta and no hope for one.
I simply don't know how to tell you when something, still in the stages
of being investigated, will be available. When will this global
recession end? When will the wars in the Middle East end? Who has the
exact dates to these questions? Browse mode is the same way (somewhat
less important than the sake of civilization to some, more important to
others). What's more infuriating: having no date at all, or a date that
is constantly on the move?
We first decided to support multiple browse mode buffers before all of
this dynamic stuff really took off. In the interim, we had to make a
decision: stick with old technology, and try to piece it together, or go
with something new that will work better, with more sites and more
applications? The choice is clear, but you can't have your cake and eat
it too. In order to provide the better solution, we had to push it back
in the release schedule. Otherwise, it would have taken a significant
amount of time away from developing the technologies that more people
are requesting and relying on (i.e 64-bit support, better Braille
support, etc.).
I personally think there is a way to have a meeting of the minds here
and help us get our points accross to GW and have them share more info
with us so we feel like we are heard and so we feel that we have a
general understanding on what is to come and generally when ... any ideas?
That's precisely what we're doing. We're not keeping all kinds of
secrets from you, and yet the popular unconscious thought is that there
must be something we're not saying because we're not saying what you
want to hear.
Aaron is there any way for us to get a better handle on timing for
browse mode stuff?
Is there a way to make any progress on this from our end meaning the gw
customers?
This is truly important to many of us and I personally don't know how to
get this accross in a way that will make a difference.
Just like I can't get across to you that we can't just make up an
arbitrary date for something that doesn't even yet exist in any kind of
form except for beginning research information. I can tell you it is our
first priority once 7.1 is released. Will it then take 1 month, 6
months, 1 year, 10 years, a lifetime? I don't know. You know as much as
I know about the release schedule right now. As time goes on, and we
monitor the development progress, makes strides and suffer setbacks, and
deal with all that goes on in the process of evolving software, I'll be
able to be more definitive. But until then, you know what I know.
Aaron
--
To insure that you receive proper support, please include all past
correspondence (where applicable), and any relevant information
pertinent to your situation when submitting a problem report to the GW
Micro Technical Support Team.
Aaron Smith
GW Micro
Phone: 260/489-3671
Fax: 260/489-2608
WWW: http://www.gwmicro.com
FTP: ftp://ftp.gwmicro.com
Technical Support & Web Development
If you reply to this message it will be delivered to the original
sender only. If your reply would benefit others on the list and
your message is related to GW Micro, then please consider sending
your message to [email protected] so the entire list will receive it.
All GW-Info messages are archived at http://www.gwmicro.com/gwinfo, and can be
searched through and sorted using the search
form at the bottom of the page.
If you wish to unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
[email protected] and include leave gw-info in the body
of the message.