On 16/09/13 13:33, Gordon Scott wrote:
On Mon, 2013-09-16 at 12:23 +0100, Daniel Llewellyn wrote:
I think Facebook is probably the worst offender in terms of potential
privacy issues in regards to targeted advertising. I'm listed on there
as being Single, so Facebook ads have worked out that I obviously want
to date an Asian woman or a woman in uniform along with several other
dating-related adverts. Neither of these are necessarily true, and
presuppose that I want to date at all.

I get similar to those, but I'm not on Facebook or Twitter, or indeed
most other 'social networking' sites. I suspect those adds target any
presumed male.  I can't tell how good their content targeting is.

But there is an example of where privacy might be as issue.
Could 'alternatively leaning' targeted advertising cause embarrassment
or worse.

I guess we've all used search terms that with hindsight can be
interpreted other than we plan. I run used to run a website about
wildlife for which I often research "Animals", "wildlife" and so on.
I used to have to do a _lot_ of post filtering on some searches to
exclude inappropriate matches.

Gordon.

All this is making me feel isolated. I don't get advertising other than from firms I've dealt with. Mind you, I have no Twitter or Facebook accounts.
d:-)
--

Tony Wood