On Mon, 2013-09-16 at 12:23 +0100, Daniel Llewellyn wrote:
> I think Facebook is probably the worst offender in terms of potential
> privacy issues in regards to targeted advertising. I'm listed on there
> as being Single, so Facebook ads have worked out that I obviously want
> to date an Asian woman or a woman in uniform along with several other
> dating-related adverts. Neither of these are necessarily true, and
> presuppose that I want to date at all.

I get similar to those, but I'm not on Facebook or Twitter, or indeed
most other 'social networking' sites. I suspect those adds target any
presumed male.  I can't tell how good their content targeting is.

But there is an example of where privacy might be as issue.
Could 'alternatively leaning' targeted advertising cause embarrassment
or worse.

I guess we've all used search terms that with hindsight can be
interpreted other than we plan. I run used to run a website about
wildlife for which I often research "Animals", "wildlife" and so on.
I used to have to do a _lot_ of post filtering on some searches to
exclude inappropriate matches.

Gordon.