What $P change is that?

In any case, I agree with Kevin that I/O in MUMPS could be simplified.
That being said, this is a stumbling block in any language becaue the
user needs both the capability of reading (up to) a fixed number of
bytes and scanning the input stream for complete lines of text (along
the lines of the library function scanf in C). It's not uncommon to see
entire books devoted to the intricacies of I/O in a particular
language.

--- Nancy Anthracite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I thought that was part of the purpose of $P change in the GTM code,
> to get it
> to recognize the TCP processes and not cut them off when something
> that would
> otherwise be recognized as a control character was sent. Can you
> leverage
> that somehow?
>
> On Sunday 21 August 2005 09:46 am, Kevin Toppenberg wrote:
> > The read command in M seems to be the most complicated function it
> has.
> >
> > I am trying to perform a binary read.  I do it this way:
> >
> > read blockIn#255
> >
> > The problem is that as I debug the code, $length(blockIn) does not
> > always=255.
> >
> > I think this is because sometimes the stream contains a
> "terminator",
> > such as a #13 etc.
> >
> > How do do a read that ignores the usual "terminators"?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Kevin

> > September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle
> Practices
> > Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams *
> Testing & QA
> > Security * Process Improvement & Measurement *
> http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
>
> --
> Nancy Anthracite

> Practices
> Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing
> & QA
> http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf

Gregory Woodhouse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Design quality doesn't ensure success, but design failure can ensure failure."

--Kent Beck