At 11:54 PM 25/05/2010, maccrawj wrote:
Any reason not to just scan with the customer drive attached to a bench machine as a data volume & bypass the OS completely? I've come to the conclusion that scanning with a host OS of unknown state is just not reliable anyway.

Yes, and I do that as well as my first pass.

Imaging the system, a good preventative measure anyway, then uninstalling the AV is another idea.

That's an idea - but I'm working on time saving measures here, so imaging might add too much time to what I'm doing.

Safemode comes to mind though it disables so much I am not sure it's a viable solution.

I do some scanning in safe mode, but I find it's bloody slow.

BTW, on a seperate topic, what do the guys on the list who charge for disinfecting computers charge these days to disinfect a machine, and about how long is taking you? I'm charging $47 and it takes about 24 hours.