On Wed, 26 May 2010, Thane Sherrington wrote:

At 11:54 PM 25/05/2010, maccrawj wrote:
Any reason not to just scan with the customer drive attached to a bench machine as a data volume & bypass the OS completely? I've come to the conclusion that scanning with a host OS of unknown state is just not reliable anyway.

Yes, and I do that as well as my first pass.

Imaging the system, a good preventative measure anyway, then uninstalling the AV is another idea.

That's an idea - but I'm working on time saving measures here, so imaging might add too much time to what I'm doing.

Imaging is a very good policy. I don't do it for all my customers, but I have been seriously considering starting. I had a "duh!" moment earlier when I read your message about USB being slow and eSATA being an option. Part of the reason we don't image is due to the relative slowness of USB. May as well toss an eSATA port in the machine, we have plenty of USB enclosures that support eSATA.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153112

Allows quick plug and unplug of both 3.5 and 2.5 inch drives. If using both drives on the eSATA port your eSATA on your computer needs to support port multiplication.

Safemode comes to mind though it disables so much I am not sure it's a viable solution.

I do some scanning in safe mode, but I find it's bloody slow.

BTW, on a seperate topic, what do the guys on the list who charge for disinfecting computers charge these days to disinfect a machine, and about how long is taking you? I'm charging $47 and it takes about 24 hours.

We service businesses only and charge "keyboard time" for any cleanups. generally $170 for a cleanup for business customers. We have prior relationships for them. Actual employee time for the cleanup is about 2 hours, but due to the nature of the cleanups we try to finish within 24 hours as well.

At $47 you better be getting a lot of volume...

Might want to try to value add to that. bump the price to $75 and you install a free antivirus and zonealarm free, Foxit, 7zip, vlc media player, etc.

Always always give them a quote on upgrading their memory if they need memory, as we all know it is the cheapest upgrade you can do for an immediate speed increase.

Christopher Fisk
--
Jayne: "Go hwong-tong [Enough of this nonsense].  No trouble now, little
crazy person...  we're going for a nice shuttle ride..."