coders with good morals will do nothing with the code even if it means
giving the cheat devs a head start.

(sorry, valve :/) I still think this is too conservative. Valve can't always be there with a HL update when a new cheat appears. So these independent developers like UnitedAdmins are needed and they really do a great job and have good morals. They harm absolutly noone when they take a look at the original source code to have a better understanding how the cheats work. When I code on the QuArK level editor I sometimes use stolen games to see if the editor works in all game modes. (Some demo versions of games don't allow custom levels.) I really don't have the money to buy a dozen games just to check for compatibility. There is far more evil in the world than making copies of source code to encounter cheaters. And now lets all sit and wait what Valve is doing atm.