OK everyone, here's the scoop on why deleting the HPK seems to help.

HL has to cache a lookup table for the HPK.

If the cache is large it occupies memory that could otherwise be used when
the models problem happens.

This "memory can't be read error" is all about memory usage and if
you decrease the inital overhead then you'll provide more working memory
for the problem.

Unfortunately it won't fix the problem, it just happens later after n+ more
events happen.

Since other players (but not all) are being kicked when one player fires
the shotgun (as one example) this means the problem is an observed
phenomena, players not in visible range won't be kicked (and won't
show the model problem).

Same thing with zoom.

If you're zoomed and looking at someone firing the shotgun you'll get
kicked,
but if you're zoomed and someone next to you is firing the shotgun, you
won't
be kicked >UNLESS< you unzoom before the decay time,  see all the shells
around you then blam, you're gone.

So deleting the HPK will help if it's largish to huge but doesn't actually
fix the
problem.

qUiCkSiLvEr