FUCK FACE STOP WRITE> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 12:20:11 -0400> Subject: Re: [hlds] Internet Tab VS
Custom Tab> > "I would thank you to keep this civil and not put words in my
mouth. I> merely pointed out a possible flaw in your logic on this."> > Well,
if the tabs system is advanced, there probably won't be custom servers> to go
to in 6 months.> > Servers need traffic to survive. If a player would like to
filter me out,> that's fine with me. But that should only be if the player
filters me out> with the filter options.> > If all of the servers showed up on
one tab, and had the filtering options> available from the custom tab, tags
being on the server queries would> attract players. And players who don't care
can still see my server> (although they can see it has tags).> > I want players
who want custom servers, to be able to find me.> I want players who want
standard servers, to be able to filter me out.> - We don't want these players!
They just disconnect anyway!> I want players who do not care, to be able to see
my server and make a> decision based on the tags my server has on it.> > That's
all we want.> > "So what's to stop you (or someone else) from constantly
hitting refresh on> either side to artificially increase the "score"? If you
doubt that someone> would do this, look at the game "Progress Quest" "> > I
have made the page show query spammers. These are usually>
game-monitor/gamespy/myspace (wtf?!) If I see a single IP with hundreds of>
queries and it's a player who is trying to stain the stats I can remove> them.>
> I made two brand new servers for this experiment, so the servers are not>
really public and they are named something random.> > "What time of the day was
this taken? What was the date? I suspect if it was> 4am on easter night... You
may have a point. :)"> > 2PM EST> > -----Original Message-----> From: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Leonard L. Church> Sent:
Tuesday, April 08, 2008 11:53 AM> To: Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing
list> Subject: Re: [hlds] Internet Tab VS Custom Tab> > What time of the day
was this taken? What was the date? I suspect if it > was 4am on easter night...
You may have a point. :)> > > > Spencer 'voogru' MacDonald wrote:> > "I know of
a few great servers that continue to stay packed 24/7> > despite being on the
Custom tab. "> > > > http://www.voogru.com/images/customtab.jpg> > > > The only
full server is an illegal nosteam server. This screenshot was> taken> >
yesterday.> > > > -----Original Message-----> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> >
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Richard Eid> > Sent: Tuesday, April 08,
2008 11:31 AM> > To: Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list> > Subject:
Re: [hlds] Internet Tab VS Custom Tab> > > > I wonder what the stats would look
like if server admins played by the> > rules? I know of a few great servers
that continue to stay packed 24/7> > despite being on the Custom tab. I'm sure
people have added them into> their> > Favorites as I have, but I play them
constantly and see new players all> the> > time. They have to be getting in
somehow and I think that somehow is the> > Custom tab.> > > > So while everyone
is forcing themselves to the overcrowded Internet tab,> > these couple of
servers are getting the prime spotlight being the few that> > are atop the
Custom list full with players.> > > > You all should try a "Custom tab week"
whereby you all move your Custom> > servers to the correct place for a week and
see how it goes.> > > > Once everyone plays by the rules, I think the system
would work much> better.> > > > On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Leonard L.
Church> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> > wrote:> > > >> Perhaps there is another possible
reason.> >>> >> 1) Perhaps people are not interested in custom servers as much
as you> >> may think.> >> 2) Perhaps people don't move to the custom tag
because most all of the> >> custom servers are in the internet tab currently.>
>> 3) Your test environment is flawed. When the game starts up and you> >>
click on "find servers", it defaults to the internet tab. This means if> >>
someone wants to go to the custom tab, they HAVE to go to the internet> >> tab
as well. Please delete the total of the custom queries from the> >> internet
total. Then, what about refreshes? Are you only allowing 1 hit> >> from a
specific IP within a certain timeframe? What is that timeframe?> >> If not, why
do you allow refreshes to count on either tab?> >>> >> Not trying to say it
isn't revealing what your page shows... Just saying> >> that it may not be
revealing what you expect.> >>> >> Spencer 'voogru' MacDonald wrote:> >> >
Yesterday I decided to do an experiment.> >> >> >> > I have made 2 experimental
servers. These servers are brand new and> >> have> >> > never been played on.
They will not be in anyone's favorites or HLSW> >> viewer.> >> > They are not
real servers and will not accept incoming connections.> >> >> >> > One of the
servers is on the Internet Tab. The other one is on the> >> Custom> >> > Tab.>
all> >> servers> >> > are displayed on that. Since I really only want to count
the queries> >> made by> >> > the in-game browser so I am filtering out queries
if someone queries> >> both> >> > servers at the same exact time, some can leak
through but I don't> >> think that> >> > will affect the stats too much.> >> >>
>> > http://www.voogru.com/server/queries.php> >> >> >> > This page is in real
time and can be refreshed to receive instant> >> updates.> >> >> >> > At of the
time of this writing, the custom tab servers receive about> >> a 90%> >> >
reduction in queries, even after players have had the little message> >> >
explaining the custom tab.> >> >> >> > I wish I would have started this
experiment sooner.> >> >> >> > - voogru.> >> >> >> >> >> >