A few things.

1. The FAQ linked from the update page applies to competitive mode, not QuickPlay. They're totally separate systems.

2. Casual mode (12v12) boasts that "you'll be playing a match from start to finish, with actual winners and actual losers," which heavily implies there's a lobby involved. Otherwise, how will you have 24 players ready to start a match at the same time?

Incidentally, the new TF2 QuickPlay sounds a lot like what Overwatch does for its Quick Play other than the player count (Overwatch is always 6v6). Which goes to show that blatant copying can go in either direction.