Am I missing something? or is the option to start a "listen-server"
entirely removed now?  There used to be a "[+]" option on the server thing
in the GUI before.  I do not see anything like that anymore.

Granted, "listen-servers" were always something that players would try to
use and result in crappy / laggy servers - if they got it working at all.
However, it often used that feature to do a quick QA of a map, or enable
sv_cheats to allow for a nav_generate for a new map and things like that.