No hypocrisy here. For the server owners/community runners who have put
hundreds if not thousands of hours into paying for servers, attracting
people who like well-policed and mature communities, all the changes over
the past years have been disheartening. We spend all this time that was
very worthwhile years ago, then suddenly, all the players are put into
thrown up and forgotten valve servers by default. All those people
complaining about "no pubs" don't even seem to realize that the server
browser exists. They will learn. They think that community servers are only
idle/trade servers are have a bunch of gameplay-changing plugins. Are there
some? Yes, but certainly not all of them. And, if this change is permanent,
more vanilla servers will pop up.

So, instead of Valve using valuable resources on a job that WAS filled by
community servers years ago, they are wisely changing it to doing the
game-official modes; matchmaking, MvM, etc.

They have spent six months working on this update, and they did not make
this change lightly I'm sure. They made the decision in this stage of the
game to let community servers take the handle again on the pub aspect of
the game.

I do think they should make sure all the quickplay stuff is sorted out so
that people who do it have a good experience, like removing the penalty for
leaving casual, and making people get in games in a good time, but it
hasn't even been 24 hours.

To the server owners, I suggest having your members/regulars who are happy
with the change send an email to the TF team showing their gratitude, how
they are hopeful for community servers (plus anything else they like about
the update). They are unfortunately probably getting inundated with loads
of "bring back pubss!1" so it will be nice for them to get some positive
feedback.