On Sep 13, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:

> On 09/12/2012 06:57 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
>> On Sep 12, 2012, at 9:02 PM, Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:
>>> My machines have names.  Those names don't change as I move around
>>> the world.  Random DHCP servers at coffee shops DO NOT have the
>>> ability to update the DNS entries for those names.  They do have the
>>> authority to update the PTR records in in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa
>>> namespaces.
>> We're not talking about mobile IP here—we''re talking about naming in the
>> homenet.   The technology has existed for over a decade to do what you
>> describe with DHCP and DDNS in IPv4, but AFAIK nobody uses it, for two
>> reasons: one, I don't think it actually serves a real need, and two, it
>> requires geek skills to set up, which most people don't have.   But the
>> second point is really a footnote to the first.
>>

> Suppose the real need would be to have a viable way to get rid of
> putting raw IP addresses in upper level protocols? Ie, SDP, etc?

That is a much broader architectural discussion than just DNS versus other
naming systems. The whole question of how and whether A can tell B in an
application protocol that he ought to talk to X in an independent communication
and whether the expectation is that X=A can be made better, worse or just
different when X is a name versus an address.

I suggest we not talk about it - we risk ultimate regression to Godwin's Law.

The