On 09/12/2012 06:57 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Sep 12, 2012, at 9:02 PM, Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:
My machines have names.  Those names don't change as I move around
the world.  Random DHCP servers at coffee shops DO NOT have the
ability to update the DNS entries for those names.  They do have the
authority to update the PTR records in in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa
namespaces.
We're not talking about mobile IP here—we''re talking about naming in the
homenet.   The technology has existed for over a decade to do what you describe
with DHCP and DDNS in IPv4, but AFAIK nobody uses it, for two reasons: one, I
don't think it actually serves a real need, and two, it requires geek skills to
set up, which most people don't have.   But the second point is really a
footnote to the first.

Suppose the real need would be to have a viable way to get rid of
putting raw IP addresses in upper level protocols? Ie, SDP, etc?

Mike