At 5:56 PM -0700 5/2/08, David Lamb wrote:
There are some very good violins being made in China these days. Nothing to compete with the Cremona masters, of course, but very respectable instruments that are hand made by master craftsmen. The best of them are not marketed as anything they are not. My guess is that Chinese horn makers will also gain in skill and reputation under their own names. They are catching up fast.

I did a bit of investigating a few months ago of Chinese string instruments. One importer mentions that all the instruments need new strings & bridges, major adjustment, and many will have gluing to be done. The retail prices I've seen are about three times the dealer cost, which seems fair considering the work which must be done.

Regards, Carlberg

--
Carlberg Jones
Skype - carlbergbmug