On Wednesday 20 February 2002 10:45 pm, Keith Packard wrote:
> Just to clarify -- there is no single unique name that represents the
> functions of these keys, they are named by the combination of symbols as
> shown here.  And these keys are commonly available on Arabic keyboards
> using this same "symbol", with the same conventional meaning.
>
> Do you have a picture we can see?

yes, I named them after the letters they combine, and this is what they are
called in Arabic language, for instance :
Arabic_lam_alef = Arabic_lam + Arabic_alef

> > Please excuse me for my ignorance in XFree structure, but how can I know
> > what the keysym will return
>
> The keysym is just a number representing the symbol on the key; once we
> define it for XFree86, it will always be the same number and be provided in
> keysymdef.h.  Applications are free to do whatever they want with this
> keysym value.
>
> > As I understood the keysym code does not represent any actual charset ,
> > right ?
>
> Yes.  Keysyms are just numbers; the translation of keysym to application
> action is not prescripted by the protocol.
>
> >  This whole thing for me confused, but I am determain to fix this issue
> > what ever it takes :-)
>
> If my understanding is correct, we're not far from a solution now.  Adding
> new keysyms is relatively easy once the decision is made that the new
> symbol is necessary.

OK .. now what application does take the keysym input and puts the correct
characters where needed ? :-) can anyone tell me where is this whole thing
documented so I can follow a one key press to see where it goes to know where
should we make the application take the two letters LAM and ALEF when
pressing the LAM_ALEF key and returning the keysym code for it ( not yet
defined) .. when I am in any X program that take keyboard input, what part of
the XFree system return the code to the program, programs such as VIM when
compiles with X support takes Unicode input, not keysym, so who tells the VIM
the unicode of the letter returned ? it is sure some X part :-) am I right ?

I am very sorry if I seem to be in a lack of info in that issue, I would be
very thankful if anyone would guide to to the place where I can get
information about keyboard and keyboard input in XFree86 ..

--
Yours,
Isam Bayazidi