Around 22 o'clock on Feb 20, Isam Bayazidi wrote:

> Arabic_lam_alef
> Arabic_lam_hamzaonalef
> Arabic_lam_hamzaunderalef
> Arabic_lam_maddaonalef
>
> each of those symbols exist in the keyboard, but each represent 2 letters,
> not one like all other keys..

Just to clarify -- there is no single unique name that represents the
functions of these keys, they are named by the combination of symbols as
shown here.  And these keys are commonly available on Arabic keyboards
using this same "symbol", with the same conventional meaning.

Do you have a picture we can see?

> Please excuse me for my ignorance in XFree structure, but how can I know
> what the keysym will return

The keysym is just a number representing the symbol on the key; once we
define it for XFree86, it will always be the same number and be provided in
keysymdef.h.  Applications are free to do whatever they want with this
keysym value.

> As I understood the keysym code does not represent any actual charset ,
> right ?

Yes.  Keysyms are just numbers; the translation of keysym to application
action is not prescripted by the protocol.

>  This whole thing for me confused, but I am determain to fix this issue
> what ever it takes :-)

If my understanding is correct, we're not far from a solution now.  Adding
new keysyms is relatively easy once the decision is made that the new
symbol is necessary.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab