Around 23 o'clock on Feb 20, Isam Bayazidi wrote:

> when I am in any X program that take keyboard input, what part of the XFree
> system return the code to the program, programs such as VIM when compiles
> with X support takes Unicode input, not keysym, so who tells the VIM the
> unicode of the letter returned ? it is sure some X part :-) am I right ?

That portion is application dependent, or at least input-method dependent.
There is no standard place in X to convert a single keysym into multiple
characters, except in the input methods, and those aren't used by all
applications.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab