Owen Taylor wrote:
> The standard input method system that comes with XFree86 is XIM; if you are
> using a language like Japanese, you'd have a standalone input method
> process; for simpler languages, there is a simple input method built
> into Xlib for doing composition. This is what the files referenced
> in:
>
>  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/compose.dir
>
> I believe (but am not sure) that you should be able to add an entry
> like:
>
>  <lam_aleph> : "[lam][alpha]"
>
> into one of these files and have it work.

  You are right absolutely. It must work.
I am surprised why nobody still mention it.
A Compose file usually used for combining a locale charset symbol from a
sequence of keysyms. But it seems nobody remeber that the result string
can be as long as you need. ( Actually it limited about 128 codes, but
it is 'plenty of space'.)

> But applications and toolkits may have other ways of doing things;
> GTK+-2.0, for instance, has it's own input method system that can be
> used either by itself or on top of input methods like XIM.

  All applications which use X{mb|wc|utf8}LookupString or toolkits that
rely on their output should work correctly.

--
 Ivan U. Pascal         |   e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Administrator of     |   Tomsk State University