On 7 Jan 2010 11:44:55 -0800, john.mck...@healthmarkets.com (McKown,
John) wrote:

>Perhaps the Korean banks are competent? And they can make money by not paying
>the account
>holder all the income that the bank makes on the money entrusted to them? U.S.
>banks used to
>be user friendly and competent. They are, like most, now run by greedy fools.

There are two big issues with US banks here - one is how much money
they spend on regulatory issues.    Why should banks and credit unions
have different rules to follow?

And the 2nd issue is much bigger, it's a business culture issue that
is by no means limited to banks.   That is we have lots of people
running businesses who don't have the same risk/rewards as the
businesses themselves have.    Making decisions that will bankrupt the
company in 5 years won't stop a CEO from getting wealthy now,
especially if the company gets bailed out by taxpayers.