In <4c2348ff.6f0f.008...@efirstbank.com>, on 06/24/2010
   at 11:59 AM, Frank Swarbrick <frank.swarbr...@efirstbank.com> said:

>Now that we've been on z/OS for a few weeks I feel to need to ask a
>question that has annoyed me since I started working on z/OS two
>years ago.  Instream datasets are good.  Why are they not supported
>inside of procs?

Because of the original implementation of the Reader/Interpreter in
OS/360.

>Is there a technical reason, or is it just "because"?

No; there's an economic and political reason; someone would have to
formally request it and provide a compelling business case. The same
applies to an option for substituting variables in instream data
sets[1]; it won't happen unless enough customers ask for it and
provide business cases.

>We use procs for almost all of our production jobs, with many steps
>that could take advantage of instream datasets if not for this
>restriction.

Is that sound configuration management? Are those data that you might
want to change without changing the JCL, or vice versa?

[1] Which IMHO is long overdue.