Chris Mason wrote:
Frank

You'll be wanting symbol substitution in the instream data next!

That actually was I wanted to help me manage for my test/education systems
where I did a great deal of work at the (VM) console. I just wanted to be able
to set up started task procedures in order to do all sorts of operations without
having to bother to start up TSO. This often meant setting up procedures
calling utility programs which - since time immemorial - make that the mid-
'60s - have used much of the time trivial statements in a SYSIN data set.

... text deleted
You might like to look at Declaring Card Files in Jol here:
http://tinyurl.com/22jz7vj

You can also use any Symbolic Variable is a card image file - it will get replaced by the current value of the Symbolic. When the program reads the card file at execution time, it will read the data with Symbolic replaced.

There are also some predefined Symbolics that you can use in Jol. Some of these are:

*Jol Automatically Initialized Symbolic Variables*

Variable           Explanation

%SYSDATE           The current date in Julian format e.g. 86290

%DAY               MONDAY, TUESDAY, etc.

%MONTH             JANUARY, FEBRUARY, etc.

%MONTHNO           01, 02 Through 12

%DAYNO             01 through 31

%YEAR              1987, 1988, etc.

%HOURS             0 through 23

%MINS              0 through 59

%SECS              0 through 59

%SYSUID            System user identification

%SYSPREF           Dataset Prefix or Current Directory

%SYSPFK            Program function key number from PANELs

%SYSTEM            MVS, DOS, VM, PC, UNIX etc.

%SPOOL             HASP, ASP, JES1, JES2, JES3, or Blank

%TSOCLASS         Contains the SYSOUT class used by TSO to
                  retrieve output from a background job

Cheers,

Clem