Frank Swarbrick wrote:
Now that we've been on z/OS for a few weeks I feel to need to ask a question that has
annoyed me since I started working on z/OS two years ago.  Instream datasets are good.
Why are they not supported inside of procs?  Is there a technical reason, or is it just
"because"?  We use procs for almost all of our production jobs, with many steps
that could take advantage of instream datasets if not for this restriction.

Thanks,
Frank

For over 40 years, Jol has allowed you to do just that.

Jol is a free format JCL replacement language, loosely based on PL/I.

You can declare Data Sets and Programs, and use commands such as Run (a program) or Copy a data set and so on.

Jol comes with the ability to declare "card" files in Jol Procedures or in Macros (which allow you to add new instructions to Jol in a high level language).

Furthermore, you can replace Symbolic Parameters or Variables in card image files to create Utility Control Statements and so on.

This example used predefined Symbolic Variables of %DAYNO, %MONTHO and %YEAR to place the current date in a control card.

          DCL CONTROL * REPLACE;
%DAYNO%MONTHNO%YEAR
EOF;

PRINT CONTROL;  /* Copy card to printer */

These statements create a Data Set Identifier (DSID) called CONTROL which will have:-

Columns                   Data

1-2 day number, e.g. 09
3-4                              month number, e.g. 07
5-8                              year number, e.g. 2009

For example:

09072009

This control file can be used by a program to print headings on a report.

You can see more here:
[...]

http://tinyurl.com/22jz7vj

Cheers,

Clem