--------------------<snip>-------------------

It all depends what your structure is. If it was me and I was say the
head of IT where you are, I would appoint the team-lead sysprog( someone
with all the credentials) first, and let him select his team... I have
seen it many times, and this would be the best recipe. It would not pay
him to get someone below him that he would not be able to rely on, on
cannot work with.
We did it that way at Clearing for many years; both the manager and I would interview prospects. Only when management decided that my participation was unnecessary did the atmosphere change. New people with different work styles can sometimes lead to friction and that's never a good thing.