We use either c89 (cc) or as.   c89 (cc) will invoke the assembler if
the source file ends with ".s" (by default).   But I think that "as"
is the preferred mechanism.

With cc, we usually just toss macros in our makefile that looks like
this, which will cause all ".s" files to be assembled:

ASMFLAGS  = -W "a,goff,ESD,LIST"

%.o : %.s
        $(CC) -c $(ASMFLAGS) $< > $*.list

Kirk Wolf