From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Knutson, Sam
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:49 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: 'Inexperienced' RBS tech operative's blunder led to banking
meltdown

To someone who is inexperienced on platform I imagine managing a CA-7 upgrade
is like having the world's smartest dog but it only responds to commands in
Latin.  Miscommunication is likely to be a source of dissatisfaction.

The average person <30 is not stupid because they haven't been editing command
decks and JCL for 25 years or lazy but software on our platform tends to be
very particular and sometimes unforgiving of mistakes i.e. failure to specify
QUEUE=NOFORMAT or some non-obvious phrase as part of START command.   Since
business is no longer content to bring in newbies and let them spend 5-10 years
to reach Journeyman status under the guidance of more senior folks software is
going to have to get smarter and more forgiving, documentation is going to have
to be written with less assumptions about the expertise of the "systems
programmer" and zNextGen (generic) is going to operate "our" mainframes weather
we think they are ready or not.  Some of those next generation folks are not
going to be based in the home office anymore either whether we like that or
not.

The Register is fun reading sometimes but they rarely have enough detail to get
real insight into what actually happened.  So really anything we say here is
just idle speculation.   Feels like Friday so that's my .02  worth of idle
speculation :-)

        Best Regards,

                Sam Knutson, GEICO
                System z Team Leader
                mailto:sknut...@geico.com
                (office)  301.986.3574
                (cell) 301.996.1318

"Think big, act bold, start simple, grow fast..."