Brian,

> Well we had such a pleasant phone call on Friday with IBM reps on this
> subject. Much to our DISMAY, they maintain that this access was never
> free and that promoting web sites costs money.

I think what you're seeing here is that someone at IBM screwed up royally. It
all comes out because IBM now 'consolidates' their many tools on different
platforms into one (named SR), and SR is built on assumptions that IBM came up
with in their ivory tower. SR exposes that most of the customer data bases are
equally screwed up. New customer numbers are assigned sometimes on a
product-by-product basis, and it is sufficient for one manager at your site
signing off on something like this six years ago for you now to have a binding
contract that does not include opening problems electronically.

I have seen this when IBM forced session manager on us (instead of NetView
Access) by the simple expedient of silently terminating the NVAS licence in our
contract and substituting session manager instead. We had never agreed to that,
but my boss had signed off on it when the contract was up for renewal and there
we were. More recently, when Sterling was bought by IBM, IBM was incapable of
putting the NDM licence under the same contract we have always had opened PMRs
under. IBM silently opened a new customer number just for NDM and made a
colleague of mine admin for it. Need I mention that none of us could access
that customer number?

I feel your pain. This is certainly NO customer service at all. In the long
run, it is one more nail in z/OSs coffin.

Barbara Nitz